Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Organ Donation Hitting Home

I create a Lenten Project for my Catholic School, St. Mary’s every year. This year transplant awareness hit home for me. My best friend’s niece Kennedy Heiman, was born with Hypoplasmic Left Heart Syndrome. After a year of ups and downs at the Children’s Hospital in Omaha, NE, she ended up in St. Louis in an induced comatose state waiting for a heart. She received her heart last July and life has been so wonderful for her family who had experienced so much trauma in that year (both of Kennedy’s young grandfather’s passed away from cancer with in months of each other). I believe the mother Tonya has been talking to you through Caring Bridge? I also have a close friend Jeanette Wulf, who received a liver transplant. She has had many other complications which made it almost impossible to fulfill her dream of being a mommy. She was blessed in August after and very rocky first trimester for her and the baby with a beautiful baby boy, Jackson. I have a lovely little girl in my class this year. I have watched her older sister struggle to breathe and barely walk from class to class around our school. She was blessed with a lung transplant in late August. She now is the most energetic, happy sixth grader you’ve ever seen. Then one night I was watching the ABC Nightly News and I saw your story. It seemed like a calling, how all of this just seemed to happen at once. Your story and mission were so beautiful that I wanted to be part of it. I was telling one of my friends about your story and she started crying telling me about how her best friend’s 8 year old daughter needed a heart transplant. It was just surreal. I’m an organ donor on my license but never really gave it much thought and here all this people I love are dealing with this at one time. I wanted to find a local organization that would directly use the money to help people. I have given money to certain organizations and then hear how much of the money goes to administrative cost, etc. and I didn’t want that. I wanted to directly affect the person involved and help ease some of the burden they would experience with their transplant. I found Tiger Teams at the Cape Canaveral Hospital. They are a group of health care professionals who educate the community on the importance of becoming an organ donor. They also give grants to local people to help with pre/post transplant expenses. So all of our classes held raffles, bake sales, popcorn, cocoa sales to raise money. We also collect soda pop tabs for the Ronald McDonald House. I created the mystery box. (I’ll send you one). The idea was that a faceless angel has given someone the greatest gift, the gift of life. The box contained and angel on a packet of seeds with a poem about “The Angel’s Gift.” I made each box and sold 144 of them to the students at the school. Translife, the organ procurement agency from Orlando also came and spoke to the children. The speaker was wonderful and had many personal stories to tell to the children and we really inspired to work harder to raise more money. With all of these efforts we raised $1,500 for Tiger Teams. I know this isn’t very short but I’m a blabber!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your story about Organ Donation highlighted the tragic shortage of human organs for transplant operations.

At least 9,000 of the 105,000 Americans on the national transplant waiting list will die before they get a transplant. Most of these deaths are needless. Americans bury or cremate 20,000 transplantable organs every year.

There is a simple way to put a big dent in the organ shortage – give donated organs first to people who have agreed to donate their own organs when they die.

Giving organs first to organ donors will convince more people to register as organ donors. It will also make the organ allocation system fairer. People who aren't willing to share the gift of life should go to the back of the waiting list as long as there is a shortage of organs.

Anyone who wants to donate their organs to others who have agreed to donate theirs can join LifeSharers. LifeSharers is a non-profit network of organ donors who agree to offer their organs first to other organ donors when they die. Membership is free at www.lifesharers.org or by calling 1-888-ORGAN88. There is no age limit, parents can enroll their minor children, and no one is excluded due to any pre-existing medical condition. LifeSharers has over 13,000 members at this writing.

Please contact me - Dave Undis, Executive Director of LifeSharers - if your readers would like to learn more about our innovative approach to increasing the number of organ donors. I can arrange interviews with some of our local members if you're interested. My email address is daveundis@lifesharers.org. My phone number is 615-351-8622.