Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Marrow Drive Experience

My first marrow registry and 41 people came to join! All spots were filled and there was a waiting list for blood donors....AMAZING! I am now ready to roll, and can't wait to be a part of another drive. We are already discussing our next Orono community drive (blood and marrow) to be held in November...right before Thanksgiving sometime (how perfect!) I can assure you I will be a part of and/or running other drives in the mean time!! If you or someone you know would like to hold a drive in your community or place of work...I would love to hear from you.

I feel so overwhelmed by thoughts and feelings after running my first drive, but the one word and feeling that comes to me is HOPE. We have been there personally in our own situation with Mara. As we met with doctors, discussed potential marrow donors, and outcomes, and I can tell you when you are in the dark clouds and pit of it all... HOPE is all you have. I have been motivated to pick myself up and get out ~ do something to help give other's the same feeling we have felt. I have also been motivated by a little blue eyed boy named Evan, his AMAZING family, his mommy who in her pain, suffering, and grief runs an incredible foundation in honor of her son (BAHBAD.org), and all the other families we have met on our journey who have lost, gained, and continue to watch their loved one suffer. We may all have a different journey, but the one thing I do know is we all share one thing in common and that is HOPE, so with that I will continue to educate, help run, be a part of whatever I can to get people aware of how easy it is to give HOPE. I look forward the next drive. I HOPE to see you there.

From: Tina Norton

No comments: