Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A MATCH!!!!


Hi Gina

I hope all is well and I thought of you when I saw your husband at the USC game. I was going to tell him but there was never was a really good time with all the people around etc. I shared the news with Lindy Gandy in Hawaii and immediately she gave me your email so… I am a match for someone.

They called me and I did the first round of tests and I was a match, and then all the real finals tests (EKG, x-ray, more blood etc). May 18th is the date. They want my stem cells so I am doing Aphaeresis. I go the 5 days leading up and get daily injections of something and then on day 5 get hooked up and they swirl my blood. I think the guy is 60 and has AML. That is all they tell you which is just fine with me. I think it is really cool and others are much more dramatic about it. I know it can be emotional but it isn’t that hard so I am way more this is great, and I can help someone. And besides the lady from the Bone Marrow donation center who walked me through everything and is SO into small talk, “how lovely is the lady playing the harp in the waiting room”, everything is fine. I am giving here at the Stanford hospital so can’t be any easier.

Just thought you would want to know.

Susan
Stanford Water Polo

1 comment:

baohanh said...

That is amazing!! I'm so proud of you! Thank you for choosing to help and thank you for being selfless and courageous to help him fight his disease