Monday, March 30, 2009

Gabi Hosts Marrow Drive at Cal


Today was the Marrow Drive I have been waiting for all semester. Like I told Gina, it went well, but I wish I could have been able to target specific organizations or teams to sponsor the drive and get the word out. I feel it would have been a lot more effective, but I learned for next time. Other than that it went well and it was definitely worth every minute and all the work that everyone helped put in.
I spent the last few months trying to organize announcements, forming emails and sending these out multiple times before the drive. I realize these days people are busy, time is valuable so I cherish those that took the 15 minutes to actually come in and help “save lives in honor of Evan.” I was really excited to see the few people that came in off the street just from seeing the signs I had posted in front of the building!
I wish I would have been able to get more people to join the registry (only had 20) but I understand this is my first time doing it and no matter what every little bit helps. Cynthia from NBMR even told me leaving today, “someone will be a match from today.” This made my heart smile! Even though this person might not end up being a donor, the fact that they could potentially save a life is a wonderful feeling.
I really want to thank Gina for encouraging everyone to run a drive. It is really beneficial, not only for all of the new registries we get but for yourself, knowing that YOU are helping to save lives.
One thing that really irritated me throughout this whole process is that most people are so uneducated about the NBMR. Everyone has misconceptions that are stopping them from joining the registry. Every time I would make an announcement, people would look at my like, are you crazy, “I’m not giving my marrow, I’m not having surgery.” Some don’t even understand that joining is just a swap of the mouth. And then when you tell them this, they are still hesitant because of the process in the future if they are called. The thing they don’t realize is that they are saving a life. It irritates me so much because all I can think about are the people in my life that have died, and Evan, whom I am doing this all for.
It makes me angry and want to say to them, “Your selfish and you obviously haven’t had a close death or else you would realize how precious this opportunity is and you would value life a whole hell of a lot more.” Although I refrain from saying something along those lines and just walk away, not wanting to get myself all worked up.
All and all this experience was really amazing, yes hurtful at times when I encountered those that are uneducated about the NBMR, but I would do it again! I am coming home, down to Southern California when school is out in 3 weeks and would love to join the Cousineau’s at all the upcoming events and do whatever I can to help out. This experience was really self rewarding, for myself, because I knew I was doing such a great thing, but even more for those whose lives I hope to save. Gabi April 26, 2008

No comments: