Sunday, February 8, 2009

Melodie is going through workup to donate her KIDNEY!!

I have been following Evan's page since the fall when I watched your story on ABC news. I wanted to tell you that because of Evan's story and your commitment to helping save more lives with BAHBAD, I am waiting for paperwork to see if I am a match for a kidney transplant for a 13 year old boy named Patrick Sibert. I read Patrick's story through a Care Pages site I follow. Patrick is in Minnesota and has renal failure and is in dire need of a kidney. I know you already know this, but what you are doing is great work.

Why did I decide to do this? Well, I follow so many Caring Bridge and Care Pages and I see how parents like yourself and their children are fighting and suffering. Since I started following a lot of these pages a couple of years ago I have seen so many of these brave kids, warriors, die. I have two sons, both healthy and active. For that I am grateful. I read your page and these other pages and I wonder if I would be strong enough to handle what they are going through. As a friend at church told me "When you are put in situation, God will give you the strength". I found out about Patrick through a Care Page I follow. When I read it my first thought was "you do it". Then I thought "wow, that's huge I can't do that". Then I read further and the message said A or O blood would be most compatible with Patrick. Immediately I thought "I have B+ blood. Whew, dodged a bullet". But I just couldn't leave well enough alone. I told myself to look at my blood donor card and if my blood matched his I would call the number. Well I pull out my donor card fully expecting to see B+. Well, I have A+ blood. I immediately prayed, first thanking God for the sign, then asking him for courage to follow through with making the call. I did it and got a call back last Friday. As I told you earlier I am waiting for more paperwork and the vials to have my blood drawn.

This is also a "pay it forward" situation for me. My husband was diagnosed bi-polar in April 2008 and has been in and out of work since August. Thankfully he currently has a job and is doing well with his meds, but we have been struggling financially. Members of our church family have stepped up and taken care of us financially and when I just need someone to cry to. I am so grateful for their help that I want to help someone else in turn. If I can't help Patrick, I'll try to help someone else.

No comments: